Re-Posted from

Chris made my first introduction to pepper jelly. Hot peppers in jelly didn’t seem particularly appetizing to me, but I tried it anyway. “Oh Wow”, how unexpected! It was spicy and sweet and I wanted to devour the whole jar with cheese and crackers. Recently our CSA has had an abundance of beautiful green peppers so it was only logical to try out making my own pepper jelly.

green pepper jelly

This wasn’t my first time at the preserving rodeo, but it was my first time using fruit pectin to make a jelly. Is pectin that scary? Not really, but I didn’t know what to expect. Doing a quick Google search for a recipe found me a Paula Deen tragedy using green food coloring (why??). Next on the list was a pretty standard Ball Preserving recipe. Easy.

Green Pepper Jelly

  • 4 ½ cups finely chopped green bell pepper (about 4 large)
  • ½ cup finely chopped jalapeño pepper (about 4 small)
  • 1 ¼ cups cider vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit™ Low or No-Sugar Needed Pectin
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup honey
  • 6 Ball® or Kerr® (8 oz) Quilted Crystal® Jelly Jars with Lids and Bands

Right from the start I began my water bath for the jars and canning tools in a big stock pot; jars, lids, rings, tongs and a funnel.


I chopped up what I thought were 3 “large” peppers. That did the trick. Usually I’m much more care-free about seeding peppers, but I didn’t like the idea of a rogue seed in my pepper jelly, so I was extra careful to pick them out.


I added the peppers to a large pan, along with the apple cider vinegar. Over medium high heat I slowly stirred in the pectin. When it came to a boil I added the sugar and honey, and vigorously stirred until it acme to a boil again. Then I let it “hard boil” for 3 minutes. At this point I felt like I didn’t mince the peppers finely enough for my liking. I sunk the immersion blender into the mixture and whirred it around a bit. I was left with some satisfying chunks.


Using my tongs, I pulled out my jars and set them on the counter to be filled with the hot jelly mixture. After the lids were screwed on securely I put them back in the hot water to process for 10 minutes.


The next day after the jars cooled, I noticed that my jelly jelled! Nothing to be sacred of. I think for the next round I’ll take the time to finely mince up the peppers for an even texture, but I was pleased with the outcome. Chris, my pepper jelly expert, gave my first batch two thumbs up!